Jaspersoft, maker of the world’s most widely used business intelligence (BI) software, today released the first BI industry Big Data Index, a ranking of connector downloads for leading databases and data sources including Hadoop Hive, Hadoop HBase, MongoDB, Cassandra, and other popular frameworks used to manage Big Data sets. By capturing download data from January 2011 to January 2012, Jaspersoft can verify growth trends for Big Data analytics overall and rank demand for individual data sources.
Key findings so far in the 2012 Big Data Index indicate:
- Over 15,000 Big Data connectors were downloaded in 2011;
- Demand for MongoDB, the document-oriented NoSQL database, saw the biggest spike with over 200 percent growth in 2011;
- Hadoop Hive, the SQL interface to Hadoop MapReduce, represented 60 percent of all Hadoop-based connectors;
- Hadoop HBase, the distributed Hadoop environment, was the second most popular Hadoop-based connector;
- Cassandra, the high availability NoSQL database, was among the top four most downloaded Big Data sources in 2011; and
- Over 27 percent of Big Data connector downloads were for Riak, Infinispan, Neo4J, Redis, CouchDB, VoltDB or others.